Saturday, September 5, 2009

Clothes For Self

As many of you know who have been in here for alterations or custom clothing....and as a heads up for those of you have not....fitting fabric around a body is an art, a skill and a science. It means taking a one dimensional (flat) object and doing "stuff" (seams, darts, pleats, gathers, etc) to form it into a 3-D object. To make it a bit more challenging, the designer is required to make it fit the 3-D object (a body) perfectly according to custom and preference. And deal with the 3-D object's (you/me) body issues. Drawing pretty pictures is so much easier and less challenging! Anyone can do that do some degree, but bringing that pretty picture to 3-D reality!!! Oh, that is so much more. (read the last 2 issues of my newsletter for info on RTW fit)

Okay, so I'm going on about that because the one person a designer can't fit for alterations or custom clothing is herself!!! Or at least, it's not easy. I can't stand back to see how it looks. I have difficulty trying to get the pins in along the back where I can't see or reach, only feel. As I try to pin or tuck, my body moves so the fabric moves and the marks may not be accurate. It's an exercise in frustration. One I just spent 2 hours on. But, I'm pleased with the results. I have a wrap skirt pattern that is darted just for my body, it's in muslin so the pattern will last a long time. And I will have a couple of new skirts for the coming season using some of the wonderful fabrics I got from Toronto.

Just to be clear, I didn't go to Toronto (altho I've been there and love it almost as much as NYC) but from a Toronto dealer who was vending a couple of years ago at an ASG conference in VA. I was talking to him as he was packing up at the end of the conference and he just didn't want to spend all the money for postage to ship it back and offered me a deal (and fabric) I couldn't refuse. Now there's an instance of being in the right place at the right time!

I'm back at the desk now finishing this and other paperwork, 2 new clients coming in late afternoon. When they leave, I will lock the door and make my new wrap skirt, maybe two, while I listen to Prairie Home Companion. Then I'll go home...sounds like a plan....

No comments: